January 13, 2010

Top Five (at the moment)

It is nearly impossible for me to pick my top five favorite songs. My favorites change everyday, so I'm just going to list the songs that I've currently got stuck in my head.

The first two are from Phish's new album "Joy". The very first song on the album is "Backwards Down the Number Line" and this is one of my favorite songs on the album. It is a very happy song (how could it not be when the opening lyrics are "happy happy oh my friend"?) and it always seems to cheer me up. Unfortunately my CD is scratched so that song is skipping. Another one of my favorites on the album is "Time Turns Elastic". This is a song that was originally written by Trey Anastasio, the lead singer, for an orchestra to perform. It is one of my favorites because it has so many different parts to it (it's ten minutes long) and it's like a musical journey of sorts.

My other favorite songs are just random songs that I've heard on my radio. One is "Say Hey" by Michael Franti. This is another very happy song that's fun to sing along with. I've also got "Freaker by the Speaker" by Keller Williams stuck in my head. I really like the guitar and bass riffs in this song.  "Mantis" by Umphrey's Mcgee is another one of my favorites. It is similar to "Time Turns Elastic" in the fact that it is made up of several completely different parts that have different feelings. It's a roller coaster of a song.

That is my top five (kind of) favorite songs.

3 comments:

  1. Although I'm not the biggest Phish fan, I do like Anastasio. His work with Les Claypool and Stuart Copeland (Oysterhead) is great. I haven't heard this other songs, but I'll have to check them out. I am glad, however, that there seems to be an underlying theme of happiness, which is much better than anger or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I have not heard any of these songs but they all sound interesting. I'm not the biggest Phish fan, but some of their songs are pretty good. I think it's interesting that you chose current favorites. It shows that you have an ever growing and evolving musical preference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit i have never heard of any of these songs before. I am however going to go check some of them out. It was definately hard for me to choose only five songs as well!

    ReplyDelete